For the past week, I've been working an extraordinary amount on my video/animation for the New Media Conference, which is being held in Monterey in conjunction with CSUMB. What I'm working on is the idea that the new era of graphic design has to incorporate depth (layers) as well as time and that these two new added concepts can be worked with using the same kind of rules and guidelines like we have for 2D design (focal point, contrast, repetition, alignment and so forth). I haven't yet seen any articles or scholarly research that deals with how you create emphasis of design content in 3D space, or how you create or diminish emphasis by adjusting timing of elements, whether in motion or appearance. All this blather is predicated on the idea that most content will begin to incorporate the fact that all screen content implies layers and depth as well as time and change. I've got a link to it here:
http://classes.csumb.edu/CST/CST405-01/world/z4d01.mov
Some of it's pretty esoteric but let me know if it makes sense to any of you. If you really want mess with your friend, give them a couple of glasses of wine (or whatever) and see if they can explain it back to you. Working on this, I'm finally coalescing my final thoughts for my book which will take up the rest of the summer. Stay tuned and post when you can.
The project is coming along reasonably well, except for the rendering of the 3D components, which is really taking a drag on the time, but that's not news to any of you. A thirty hour render for 20 seconds of content continues to be a royal pain.
Hmm... This makes sense, concept wise.
ReplyDeleteI have some constructive criticism/ suggestions. I think you're reading in a mono tone, which doesn't make it too interesting audio wise (I'm prone to speaking in monotone for presentations). I think the font is too small in the white scripted one with the "well, what about multimedia design?"
I also think that the camera should keep the three 3D objects in the view port rather than dive down and then back up. It has the sort of motion sickness feel to it the way it is currently. The timing is off on the "not pretty pictures from your vacation" with your voice and it fades too fast (or might need to be presented earlier).
I like how the type turns to 3D and the camera flies through the 3D type.
I really liked the visual with the X and the Y along the box. It was nice to see something besides type.
The page turning effect was interesting as well.
Well, let me know if this helps. I can tell a lot of time was put into this. :)
Darn, I didn't see this in time to make those changes. Been too busy working on the darn thing. Thanks for the critique. The monotone part is bugging me, too but I'm too self-conscious to really go after the dramatic reading at this point. I've had very little training in dramatic reading and it shows. I'm thinking most people will just be ready the thing, anyways. Your comment about the font sizes is important. I originally thought it would be on a big screen, but it might not. I'm thinking it will be at least full screen on a desktop computer and hopefully people will be able to read it. I'll go check out your new demo reel soon. Really busy. Been staying up late and getting up real early to work on this stuff. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome. I'm glad the comments helped. At least your voice is clear in the audio. How long did it take for AE to render this animation?
ReplyDelete