Friday, June 12, 2009

Conference

I'm here at a conference session that has a great title but is really the same old boring stuff (for lack of a more polite term). My video/animation came off reasonably well, so that was encouraging. I was afraid I'd get laughed at but some people were reasonably impressed. If I had to do over again, I'd do the whole thing in 3D but the render times were killing, consuming huge amounts of time for small snippets of time. If you see the piece, the 3D parts took 30 hours of render time. More later, if you're interested.

If you're so inclined, I'd like you to download a demo copy of Mudbox and/or Z Brush and let me know what you think. I'm thinking of using those programs for doing modeling in 305 and maybe 405. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. So far I have downloaded Z Brush, and I have to say that it is quite an interesting experience. Although part of me wants to stay grounded with the more traditional form used in Maya and Cinema 4D, I think this could prove to be a helpful tool down the line. I am currently downloading Mudbox, though my internet here is a large downgrade from campus, so it's taking a while. I will toy around with them some more and see if I can get something up that's worth posting...even if it's just for laughs.
    -Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked with Don Shields at Mission yesterday and here's his take on those two items. Zbrush is good for texture mapping. Maya is very troublesome in mapping textures and a lot of industry professionals are using Zbrush primarily for the mapping ease. The modeling features are nice but get a little strange for some. Mudbox is really fun to work with and the mapping functions seem similar to Zbrush but we had some serious problems last semester with Mudbox "baking" textures onto polygons and creating all sorts of problems with colors and shaders. Please feel free to post, screw around and show whatever you want. Hope to see something soon.

    ReplyDelete