I haven't heard back from Spencer about blogging from E3. Hopefully that will turn out. He told me about some exciting things coming up down there. I wish I could go but it's pretty expensive and I have the project for the New Media Conference I'm working up. This week, I'm planning on going to see "Up" in 3D and if anyone wants to come along, let me know.
I'll be putting together a clip of the highlights of last semester's 405 class pretty soon. I'll also try to revise the 3D student highlight reel. I'll also start getting Pearsall to give me more updates on his work. Some of you who've been around CSUMB remember Jeff, who went on to do graphics for a company that specializes in tags, bumpers, commercials and that kind of stuff for handhelds. Jeff has been prodding them to do more 3D. They wanted to use 3DS Max, so Jeff's been teaching himself to use Max (traitor!) and he's pretty encouraged by his progress. He heard that they were building a waterpark in Morgan Hill and pitched the idea of a fly-through to the developer. The developer was non-committal but referred Jeff to the overseer of the downtown Morgan Hill redevelopment and (last I heard) it was looking promising that Jeff would be doing the fly-through for the whole project.
Don Shields, the instructor at Mission College that I met at the Oren Jacobs talk is also at E3 (lucky guys). When he gets back, I'm going to meet with him and compare notes about modeling and animation. He has his students Z-brush for a lot of the modeling and has them hand-key all their animation. He doesn't like using MoCap because of the clutter of the scripts and all the time it takes to clean them up. He's not that keen on Motion Builder because he says it's designed basically for 3DS Max and it's not so seamless with Maya. That's a bit different than the story I got from Alias, so I'll have to look into that. If the budget isn't too gruesome, I'll try to get Motion Builder and Mudbox on the 123 animation computers next week or the week after.
Mike Machado promised to upgrade the 123 computers to our latest version of Maya (2009) and I'll check on Monday to see if that's been done. Stay tuned and post something of your own if you think it's worthy. Till then.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know that Eric and I would like to go see the new Pixar movie "Up." Just let us know when you're planning on going and maybe we can go together.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had known back when you went to go see it... I saw it and thought it was pretty good... but Cars is still my favorite.
ReplyDeleteI finally got to see it last weekend, in 3D, loved it. I've been so busy with the video thingee that I haven't been keeping up with the blog as well as I could have. I would have liked to have double dated. Cool. Found out from Henry Simpson that we will be upgrading to the next version of Maya for 18/104 and with the current budget situation, that's a minor miracle. Kudos to IT for the help on that one!
ReplyDelete